I’ve decided to write this post because I get so many Instagram DMs asking me for advice, tips, and tricks regarding IG growth. Just a heads up, I’ve been running VBR since 2007, so it’s definitely not like a gained a significant following overnight. Also, since Instagram changed its algorithm awhile back, where only 20% of your followers actually see your posts, the growth struggle is really real. Here are a few tips for optimizing your account to gain more followers.
7 Ways to Help Grow Your Instagram Following
- Post Authentic & Engaging Photos – This one is probably a no-brainer. Post photos that you’d enjoy seeing if you saw them pop up in your feed. Natural lighting, unique layouts and backgrounds, colors, photos that tell a story, inspire, or makes people laugh are always a good way to go.
- Interact With EVERYONE – Haha, maybe not everyone, but I def think it’s essential to respond to comments and messages that people leave on your photos and in your inbox. It’s equally important to comment and like up on other people’s posts to show support and provide a sense of community. If you like someone else’s content, show them some love! Chances are, they’ll probably do the same for you, too.
- Use Hashtags Wisely – Having an effective hashtag strategy is one of the best ways to get your posts discovered by new audiences on IG. You’re allowed to use up to 30 hashtags, so max that ish out! It’s important to keep them targeted and relevant, though. You want the right audience to find you.
- Geotag Your Posts – By adding a geotag to your photo, you are pinning your location to that pic, allowing your photo to be found anytime an Instagram user clicks on the same geotag on another photo. Pretty sweet, right? 🙂
- Post Regularly – Think consistency over frequency. I think I post an average of 1.5 times per day. I feel like this is a good rate for me, and doing this consistently lets my new and existing followers know what to expect from my account. Find your groove with this and stick to it. Try not take an unexpected hiatus, which I’m actually guilty of sometimes while on vacation. I do see a drop in followers and engagement when that happens.
- Host Giveaways – Partner up with your favorite brands/bloggers/etc. and have peeps follow all accounts involved, as well as tag friends, etc. to enter your giveaway. This is a great way to cross-promote and get seen by new eyes. Make sure prize is awesome, though. 😉
- Use A Third Party Instagram Service – There’s nothing wrong with choosing an Instagram growth service. I’m not referring to the kind where you buy followers but the ones that help you follow and engage with like-minded people who have a higher chance of following you back. People can’t know you exist until then know you exist, know what I mean? Haha 🙂 This is a nice way to sort of make an introduction to people.
Again, attaining organic traffic on Insta is much harder than it used to be, but still totally worth it. I advise you to not take shortcuts (i.e. buying followers, likes, etc.), because in the end, you really want engaged followers who genuinely enjoy your content. Right? Right. Haha 🙂 Let me know if you have any tips to add to the list. I’m always takin’ notes. Muah! xo
p.s. Are you following Vegan Beauty Review on Instagram yet? 😉
About Sunny (Sunny’s Profile)
Longtime vegan, hardcore compassionate beauty junkie, serious cake aficionado, and lover of all things floofy and sparkly! If there’s something in particular you’d like me to review, drop me a line at Sunny@VeganBeautyReview.com.
You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Google +.
Filed in: vegan lifestyle